Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Russell Secrest HARRIS BANK FOUNTAIN

http://chicago-outdoor-sculptures.blogspot.com/2010/06/harris-bank-fountain.html





    This sculpture was created in 1935. The fountain sculpture was commissioned by Harris Bank for its plaza at Monroe and LaSalle streets. Seven jets of water splash from a through the seven blue- green bronze pedestrals that make up for this fountain sculpture. The longer pieces connecting each fountain extend 6 1/2 feet in height and the water flows into a massive granite basin that is 22 feet in diameter. Although I could not find much information on the fountain I believe that the picture and piece, speaks for itself. 

    When I saw this fountain I automatically was interested in it. It has many elements to it, such as proportion and balance. Also, I love working with water and love when people use that element in their work. The seven fountain are evenly spread through the sculpture and it gives people a different and interesting view from any side.  I love that he used bluish- green bronze. I can imagine that it would be difficult to create a piece this large and the time it must have taken. The flow, balance, and organic shape of this fountain inspires me to keep my mind open to creating shapes and learning how to connect multiple smaller pieces into one whole artwork. Although they are simple shapes it is a bold piece, that deserves more recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment